Thread: RIP Fred Courtney

RIP Fred Courtney

I have today today, been told that Fred Courtney, long time custodian of the the Northland Special, AKA many names, first winner of the NZGP (the car) has passed away.
    I was very privileged to be invited by him to look through his archives of the history of the car, and subsequently to show long time historian Dave McKinney that what I had proof of was different to what he believed.
    Fred was a character in the truest sense of the word, down to earth and a man of many talents from his background in aviation, his passion for the car, and his will to help those who could not really afford to keep a car running.
    If there was ever a car that showed the battle between driver and machine to see who was in control, this pairing is beyond anything else.
    I first saw them both at the Whangaparaoa hillclimb at Army Bay, who was controlling who I did not know. many decades later I asked him, he said he didn't know either..
    Fred, you are sorely missed. RIP my old friend.
    Last edited by Oldfart; Yesterday at 07:08 PM.

RiP indeed. I love all specials and one offs.

Name:  218_0506_455 Northland Special.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  104.0 KB

Thanks Rhys for posting, Never actually met Fred but remember him racing at a few " Classic " meetings including the Ardmore Reunion in 1989, and a few years earlier - Ohakea in 1982 - where it was entered as the " Jackson Special ".

I understand from Kevin Hirst that Fred was a great Guy when looking for help or parts.

Here the " Northland Special " in the paddock at the Ardmore meeting.

Name:  Ardmore 1989 #009 the Reunion Northland Special and Volpini Formula Junior Ardmore 1989 R Dowdin.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  175.2 KB

RIP Fred Courtney.