Thread: Bob Wallace And John Ohlsen

Bob Wallace And John Ohlsen

Folks, I've had a request from David Rodríguez Sánchez in Spain which maybe someone here can help with? Email as below:

Dear Sir,

I am David Rodríguez, from Spain. I am researching the subject of Mr. Bob Wallace, legendary test driver at Lamborghini, who came from New Zealand into Europe in a trip across the sea in the company of Mr. John Ohlsen.

I am compiling old informations and researching the past the best I can from here, in order to produce a homage booklet to Mr. Bob Wallace, that will be published on spring next year under the umbrella of a club of ex-Lamborghini workers.

I would love to ask you whether you can help me please regarding the days in which both Mr. Ohlsen and Mr. Wallace were involved in the NZ Hot-Rod scene. Perhaps there are photographs of the hot-rod cars that Wallace created in mid-late 50s? He took part also in motocross races even before that.

I have forwarded a similar email to Mr. John Ohlsen's son, asking about possible informations of his father and Wallace common trip into Europe and previous joint ventures. I cross my fingers there are things about them and those days which time didn't take away.

Immense thanks for your kind help and patience.

With my very best regards, d.

David Rodríguez Sánchez

Bob Wallace 4th October 1938 to 19th September 2013.

From Classic Car Heroes by Waimakl Classic Cars

" https://waimakclassiccars.co.nz/clas...-bob-wallace/# "

Part of the Text ;

" Bob Wallace was born in Auckland in 1938 and from an early age was utterly captivated with cars and motorsport. He began fettling cars as a teenager and was a regular attendee at local New Zealand Motorsport events. He was hooked on racing pretty quick and spent much of his youth making Hot Rods.

Bob and friend John Ohlson travelled to the UK, working a brief stint at Lotus before being spotted by Guerino Bertocchi. He offered Bob the chance to come to Italy and work for Maserati.

Bob and John made their way to Italy, despite neither being able to string together a sentence in Italian.
    Upon arrival in Italy, Wallace found soon after there were no jobs going at Maserati, but the privateer team Camoradi USA enlisted Bob as a mechanic.
    Bob fettled their Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage and Corvette, before travelling with the team to Le Mans in 1960.

Privateer Ferrari team Scuderia Serenissima poached Bob from Camoradi and Bob’s expertise were tested on the iconic Ferrari 250 GTO.This appointment also led to him becoming noticed by Ferrari himself.

Bob went to work for Ferrari as Phil Hill’s chief mechanic for his victorious 1961 Formula season. However, before they could entice Bob back to work for the Scuderia, one of Enzo’s neighbours managed to get him first.

A tractor mogul by the name of Ferruccio Lamborghini was fresh off having a spat with “Il Commendatore” about certain clutch problems on Lamborghini’s Ferrari.
    Enzo told him to basically “get stuffed and stop complaining about my cars.” The result? A fiery Italian rivalry, with Ferruccio vowing to make a better sports car than Ferrari.

After completion of Lamborghini’s factory in neighbouring Sant Agata Bolognese in 1963, Ferruccio signed up Bob and gave him free reign over mechanical development of Lamborghini’s first production car, the V12 350 GT. "

" Bob left Lamborghini in 1975. His reason for leaving was due to new owners did not have the capitol for development of new cars. Plus, Lamborghinis desire to steer away from the track had led to the departure of Stanzani and Dallara. "

I am sure there is much more, and the other day the son of one of my friends asked the same question as he wants to write about " Bob Wallace ".

I note there are a couple of threads on Bob Wallace here, he passed away in 2013.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; Today at 04:16 AM. Reason: Ohlsen - Ohlson - spelling.